Meaty Comfort Chili
Cold days call for warm, hearty comfort food and, today I have the perfect recipe for you. This Meaty Comfort Chili has all of the warmth, flavor and comfort that you could ask for in a healthy dinner. This recipe tastes even better the next day!Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
Here’s what you need
- 6 oz. hot turkey Italian sausage, loose
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped and seeded
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ¼ cups Merlot or other fruity red wine
- 1 (28oz) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 2 (15oz) cans no-salt-added kidney beans, drained
- Sour cream (optional garnish)
- Shredded cheese (optional garnish)
- Green onion (optional garnish)
- Diced tomatoes (optional garnish)
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onion, bell pepper, garlic, ground beef and jalapeno to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add chili powder, coconut sugar, cumin, tomato paste, oregano, black pepper, salt and bay leaves and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with the garnishes.
One serving equals: 284 calories, 1g fat, 79mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 12g fiber, and 16g protein
Spread the word. Use the “refer a friend” link below to forward this newsletter to your friends, family, and coworkers.